My 10-year old son was seriously injured when he was hit by a car while riding his razor scooter on the sidewalk. The car that hit him was at fault. What insurance will pay his medical bills and pain and suffering?

Your son is treated similar to a pedestrian and would be covered by the No-Fault/PIP insurance of the car that hit him. That coverage would be obligated to pay the first $10,000 of his medical expenses. In addition, the bodily injury liability coverage insuring the at-fault driver would be available to pay up to the limits of the policy for any medical expenses not paid by PIP, as well as his other damages, including physical pain, suffering, scarring, disfigurement, loss of the enjoyment of life, medical expenses to be incurred in the future, and, potentially, loss of future earning capacity. If your son’s damages were greater than the liability insurance coverage available, any uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your car insurance would be available as well, if your son resided with you.

Jim Dodson
A Florida injury lawyer, family man and avid cyclist who clients have trusted for over 25 years.