There have been some changes to Florida’s No Fault, PIP Law
In order for your PIP benefits to apply after a car accident:
- You must receive initial care within 14 days from one of these: EMT or paramedic,physician (MD or DO), dentist, chiropractor, hospital or hospital owned clinic.
- Follow up care must be on a referral from that provider to a physician (MD or DO), chiropractor, dentist, certain nurse practitioners, physical therapist, hospital, hospital owned clinic, or surgery center.
- PIP reimbursement is limited to $2500 unless there is finding you have “emergency medical condition” which is very specifically defined and must be made by a physician(MD or DO),dentist, physician’s assistant (PA) or nurse practitioner (ARNP).
- Follow up care will be reimbursed up to $10,000 only if the finding of “emergency medical condition” is made.
- PIP no longer pays for massage therapy or acupuncture.
- If you only see a chiropractor, for instance, reimbursement is limited to $2500.
- If PIP benefits do not apply because you didn’t get treatment within 14 days, or they apply but were exhausted, your health insurance/ Medicare may be used or your lawyer may arrange payment arrangements.