What’s the Difference between a Car Insurance Agent and an Insurance Adjuster?

Adjuster Holding a Pen & a Insurance FormFirst off, you need to understand agents and adjusters are different people and have completely different jobs. An insurance agent sells insurance policies. They can work with one insurance company or many, selling various policies. Many are independent agents and may not have any affiliation with your car insurance company. They can be helpful in pointing you in the right direction after a claim, but they do NOT handle your claim. They have no role in the claims process.

Insurance adjusters work for the car insurance company. Most are employees of the company, a few are independent adjusters. Their job is to protect the insurance company. They want to get your claim settled as quickly and for as little money as possible. In most car accident cases you will have several adjusters. One will handle your medical bills for your insurance company under your no-fault coverage. One will handle the repair or replacement of your car. Finally, there will be an adjuster to settle your injury claim.

This can be confusing. That’s why after an accident, even if you are dealing with your own insurance company, it’s in your best interest to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer who will work only for what is in your best interest, not an insurance company.

Have You Been Injured In A Car Accident?

If you've been hurt in Florida car accident you should speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 727.446.0840 to schedule your free, no obligation consultation.

Jim Dodson
Connect with me
A Florida injury lawyer, family man and avid cyclist who clients have trusted for over 25 years.