It’s estimated 24% of Florida drivers have no insurance and hundreds of thousands of others have the bare minimum. Uninsured motorist (UM) insurance is probably the most important coverage you can buy for protection from irresponsible drivers!
What Florida Uninsured Motorist Insurance Covers
- If you are hurt by a driver with no Bodily Injury (BI) insurance, your UM will pay all of your damages and losses up to the limits of your policy.
- If you are hurt by a driver with some BI, but not enough, your UM will pay your losses and damages over and above what their BI pays. Example – if your injury claim was worth $300,000 and the driver at fault had only $10,000 in BI, your UM would pay $290,000 to you if you had at least $300,000 in UM coverage on your policy.
- If you are injured by a “hit and run” driver, your UM will pay your losses up to the limits of your policy (some conditions may apply)
- Your UM covers you if you’re injured or killed as a driver or passenger in someone else’s car.
- Your UM covers you in certain employer owned vehicles if you are in an accident while on a business errand/assignment.
- Your UM covers you if you’re a pedestrian or a bicyclist hit by a car.
- Your UM on your motorcycle policy covers you and your passenger on your bike if you are injured or killed by a careless driver.
- Your UM covers you if you are occupying a non-owned vehicle or motorcycle.
- Your UM applies if you are killed by a negligent driver, if you are a driver, passenger or as pedestrian or bicyclist.
- Finally, your UM also provides coverage for most family members who live in your household when any policy conditions are met.
Free UM Insurance Book Written by a Clearwater Car Accident Attorney
Florida residents, get your copy of Uninsured Motorist Insurance – Don’t Leave Home Without it! by attorney Jim Dodson. It clears up all the confusion over car insurance, lays out the type of coverage you need and it’s FREE!