Did you know staged auto accidents are on the rise in Florida?
Tampa is ranked No. 2 in the nation for questionable auto claims, right behind Brooklyn! Insurance rates in Tampa are up and may be the highest in the country, as a result.
Statewide, Florida leads the nation in suspicious accident claims, with a total of 1,062. With our no-fault policy, Florida is a popular place for auto accident fraud. Most staged car crashes are carried out by crime rings: a group of people who get together, plan a car wreck in the Tampa Bay area, and then either carry it out or set up a scene to appear as if there had been a crash. After the crash, the drivers often file for medical services but don’t follow through with medical procedures – instead they pocket the money – sometimes thousands of dollars. Fake clinics are even sometimes set up as part of the whole scheme.
Law Enforcement and insurance professionals encourage drivers to be alert to staged car accidents.
What You Should Know to Protect Yourself Against Auto Accident Fraud:
- Always maintain a safe distance from other vehicles when driving
- Call the police right away and get the officer’s names and badge numbers
- Obtain a police report.
- Write down all details of any accident – car make, car year, tag number, registration, driver’s license, phone number, accident description…everything!
- Write down the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all passengers. Someone not there may claim to have been present. Make note if anyone seems seriously injured.
- Get medical help if you are injured.
- Talk to a good Tampa accident lawyer who has experience handling personal injury claims against careless Florida drivers.
Have You Been Injured In A Car Accident?
If you've been hurt in Florida car accident you should speak with an experienced car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 727.446.0840 to schedule your free, no obligation consultation.