When you’ve been in a car accident, you may have lost your health, your ability to work, your sense of security, or your car. Perhaps someone important to you died or suffered catastrophic injuries in the accident. It is not unusual in these circumstances to be sad and to experience a sense of loss. But sometimes, the sadness goes beyond what seems reasonable and proportionate to the loss you’ve suffered and becomes a major clinical depression. If this is how you are feeling, you should reach out to a car accident lawyer in Florida to see if you have a valid claim worth pursuing.
Symptoms of a Major Depression After a Car Accident
- Feelings of sadness, unhappiness, and emptiness most of the time
- Loss of interest in activities you’ve always enjoyed
- Changes in appetite: eating too much or loss of appetite
- Excessive sleeping or inability to fall asleep or stay asleep
- Agitation or restlessness
- Extreme fatigue; loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Difficulty thinking, speaking, or concentrating
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Excessive irritability or unreasonable frustration
- Lack of sexual desire; sexual dysfunction
- Crying for no apparent reason
According to the Mayo Clinic, these symptoms must be severe enough to interfere with everyday activities, such as work, school, social activities, or relationships to indicate a major depression.
If left untreated, depression can devastate lives. At its worst, it may lead the sufferer to drug or alcohol abuse or even to suicide. Read more about psychological injuries after a car accident.
Screening for depression following a car accident should be routine, because the psychological damage associated with this mental disorder can be as damaging as physical injuries, or more so.
If you or a family member has suffered from physical injuries or psychological injuries such as depression following a car accident caused by another driver’s negligence, it is possible you have legal options available.
Get Help from an Accident Lawyer
You may have unanswered questions about your personal injury claim. Reaching out to an experienced Florida accident lawyer for help in making a claim, for all of your injuries and losses, not just your physical ones, can relieve you of the stress and anxiety of trying to handle it on your own.
Get back on track again with your personal injury claim and order our free report, How to Stop Worrying and Get Your Life Back on Track After a Florida Car Accident and then contact a personal injury attorney at Jim Dodson Law for a no cost consultation at 888-207-0905.