You’re leaving the mall after a day of shopping, or coming out of a restaurant after a dinner with friends, and when you go into the parking lot, you slip or trip and fall.
A trip and fall in a Florida parking lot is more than just embarrassing—it can be life-changing or deadly! If you’ve been seriously injured because of an unsafe condition, there’s a good chance that an experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to help you recover compensation for your injuries. These may include the cost of medical expenses, lost time at work, help you need with everyday tasks, disfigurement or disability, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Common Injuries from Parking Lot Falls
- Back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Hip and Pelvis Fractures
- Neck injuries
- Facial injuries
Trip and fall accidents in parking lots are doubly dangerous, because a person who has fallen to the ground could be further injured by a car entering or leaving a parking space.
Causes of Parking Lot Falls in Florida
Florida law requires that owners of parking lots maintain their premises in a safe condition and free of hazards that could injure the public. Poorly designed or improperly maintained parking lots can easily become a trip and fall hazard.
Some Dangerous Conditions that Could Cause You to Fall in a Parking Lot Include:
- Potholes and cracks
- Speed bumps
- Improperly maintained curbs
- Wheel stops that are broken, out of place, or difficult to see
- Surface irregularities
- Debris and slippery material, such as rocks, mud and sand
- Poor lighting
- Poor design of a parking lot structure
- Wet, slippery surfaces
- Foreign objects
- Visual obstructions
Five Steps to Take After a Florida Parking Lot Fall
- Stay where you are and ask for assistance. Don’t stand up quickly and leave the scene. Injuries, particularly internal ones, are not always immediately apparent.
- Seek medical attention. Call 911 or see a medical professional as soon as possible.
- Document the accident. Take photos of the scene if possible, and ask any available witnesses for statements and contact information.
- Report the fall to the property owner; consider calling police and making a report.
- Protect your legal rights before speaking to a claims adjuster by calling an attorney who practices personal injury law exclusively. You are not required to give a recorded statement immediately after your fall.
Contact Accident Attorney Jim Dodson
If you’ve been seriously injured in a fall in a parking lot and want to learn more about your legal rights, contact the Jim Dodson Law at 888-207-0905 to schedule your free consultation. Jim has been helping Florida accident victims recover money for their injuries for more than 25 years. He will give you honest and straightforward answers to all your questions and advise you on the best way to proceed in making a claim.
Have You Been Injured In A Slip And Fall Accident?
If you've been hurt in a slip and fall accident you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Contact us online or call our office directly at 727.446.0840 to schedule your free consultation.