What You Should Do If You Were Involved in an Accident with a Government Vehicle

Government Vehicle Driving on the StreetWhen you’re injured in an accident with a government vehicle, the laws are quite different than with other cases. You’ll need to act fast in filing your claim, and you should consult a lawyer as soon as possible for your Florida personal injury case.

Types of Government Claims

When you’re involved in an accident with a government vehicle, your life can change in an instant. Not only will you have to deal with your injuries and hardships that they’ve caused, but you’ll also have to deal with the challenge of filing a claim against a government entity.

There are several instances in which you might need to file a government-related claim, such as when:

  • you were in an accident with a government vehicle or a government employee;
  • your accident occurred on government-owned land;
  • you were injured on a highway or state-maintained road;
  • you were injured by a government worker or official; or
  • you sustained injuries because of a government worker’s negligence or wrongdoing

Compensation for Your Injuries

Government vehicles are constantly on roads and highways. From military vehicles to police cars, government vehicle accidents are not unheard of, and there is legal recourse you can take.

The government has a certain level of immunity, though, that your attorney can explain to you. This doesn’t mean that you can’t file a claim or receive compensation for your injuries; it just means that you’ll have to carefully follow the government’s rules and guidelines when building your Florida personal injury case.

If your case is proven, you can receive compensation for:

  • medical bills;
  • pain and suffering; and
  • any other damages associated with the accident.

If you fail to follow government stipulations when filing your claim, however, you could accidentally forfeit your rights.

Government Vehicle Accidents

Getting into an accident with a government vehicle happens more often than many people think. The government has strict policies on how to file a claim, as well as a stringent statute of limitations, so it’s vital to contact an attorney to pursue a claim as soon after your accident as feasible.

There are numerous government vehicles involved in collisions, such as:

  • police cars;
  • fire trucks;
  • ambulances;
  • city maintenance trucks;
  • municipal waste trucks;
  • mail carrier vehicles;
  • city buses;
  • county snow plow vehicles;
  • DOT trucks;
  • road construction vehicles;
  • school buses; and
  • city-owned vehicles.

You also may be able to pursue a claim if a government official or employee was driving a personal vehicle, but you’ll have to speak with an attorney to see if that’s applicable to your case.

Filing a Claim After Your Accident

Filing a claim against the city, state, county or federal government is quite complex, due to the fact that you must follow their filing policies and adhere to extremely tight time limits.

Sometimes, these government-imposed deadlines can be as short as 30 days, which is why it’s so important to contact a personal injury lawyer to begin the process as soon as you’re able.

You might be asked to put a dollar amount on a government claim form to settle your claim after your accident. You’ll want to avoid doing this before speaking to your lawyer; you could unwittingly reduce the compensation you’re actually entitled to.

Jim Dodson
Connect with me
A Florida injury lawyer, family man and avid cyclist who clients have trusted for over 25 years.