You've been hurt in an accident and you've decided to hire a lawyer. Let me give you five questions to ask that lawyer before you hire them.
What I've found in my practice is that people get injured once in their life typically and hopefully that's the only time they'll be dealing with a personal injury lawyer. Because of this I have found that people really don't know where to begin when looking for and hiring a lawyer.
I want to suggest to you five things you should ask any lawyer before you hire them. When you get the answers to these questions you will know something about them.
- Do you limit your practice to personal injury cases and have you handled cases like mine?
- Ask them about there qualifications. There's a lawyer rating service called Marindale-Hubbel, which has been around for years and years. Their highest rating for legal ability and ethics is called an AV rating. So you want to look for a lawyer who has an AV-Preiminent rating with them.
- Look for them on another rating service called AVVO which is also online. The highest rating that AVVO can give a lawyer is 10, which is a Superb rating. So, this is what you'd like to see.
- Who are you actually going to deal with when you call or go to the lawyer's office? If the lawyer is willing to send a "runner" to your house, you want to make sure you will be dealing with the lawyer and not just a case manager.
- Has the lawyer written or published anything that can help you understand your type of accident, your type of injury and the process you'll be going through from start to finish. One of the common issues are the mistakes you need to avoid when dealing with your doctor or the insurance adjuster. So, will your lawyer send you something to review in your own home so you are prepared and comfortable with the whole process?
If you get answers to these questions, you will feel more comfortable in making a decision to hire a lawyer.